Report Abuse

Re: Not paying maintenance

I wondered if anyone could help shed some light on whether or not I should continue to try to get rid of my timeshare and not stop payments on my maintenance fees with fear of legal action by the resort. I have contacted two different groups so far and I am not very trusting because the difference between the two don't add up. I first contacted Timeshare Freedom Group and they said it would cost $3595 for their attorney located in California to get rid of my timeshare within 6-24 months and if unsuccessful, I will get my money back and money up front and can finance up to 12 months with a deposit of $1500 and a 2.5 % finance fee if financing the balance. RAG (Resort Advisory Group) told me it would cost $3000 for them to draw up a letter to send to the management group threatening to cancel my timeshare and this would happen within 6 months because their reputation proceeds them or my money back. Otherwise it would cost $6000 for the attorney to cancel the timeshare and this could take up to a year. They also advertise on their website that they utilize a third party escrow, but when talking to the Senior Analyst he said that would cost me 20% of the money I put in the escrow and that he recommends using a credit card for my payment. We never purchased this timeshare we only had it transferred to our name from another couple and have paid annual maintenance fees from $540- 2009 to $1040 in 2021. I'm afraid these will continue to go up and we don't even use the home resort, we always exchange it out because there is nothing to do in New Bern, NC. Sincerely, MA