Report Abuse

Re: Mandatory Meal Plans- Can you get away from them?

[Q=jeffw129] [Q=bryanw21] [Q=jeffw129] [Q=darcy54] I agree with you. I find the meal plans are extremely over-priced, and why should certain weeks of the year cost even more , the food and drinks don't change just because it's a high season week. When I compare the cost of my meal plan, airfare, maintenance fee, and exchange fee, I usually haven't saved anything over going on a pre-packaged holiday. If I travel in low season I usually would end up paying even more than a last minute special. Do owners at these all-inclusive resorts get any breaks on the meal plan?[/Q] Most of them are not just meal plans. they are all inclusive. Which means meals, drinks,non- motorized water sports activities, alot of resorts in Mexico include tours and room service and oh ya i almost forgot to mention premium brand drinks!!!! Lot's and lot's of drinks!! lol[/Q] That is nice if that is what you WANT to do, not what the resort FORCES you to do. You may feel you get your money's worth, I don't and I don't like not having the choice. For me I think I can do better exploring the local eateries and culture. Personally, I don't drink that much, so the drinks are not going to justify the all inclusive, I also like a little variety in what and where I eat, plus I get a chance to experience the local life. If you want to go somewhere and never leave the compound, then an all inclusive probably will make sense to you. "non-motorized water sports" ? I have seen some beat up windsurfers, but have never been able to take out a sailboat as part of any plan, pool floats maybe. Perhaps I am not easy to impress, but tours to shopping districts and places like Xcaret (total synthetic fabrication for tourists, including fake ruins of all things) don't interest me. I want to be able to chose.[/Q] I'm sorry but i don't know where you've been doing your all incs but maybe you should look up palaceresorts.com and try one of them. Cause i can guarantee you can not go to Cancun and do everything they offer for the same price or cheaper on your own!! Seriously i strongly recommend Either the moon palace or Spa palace if ya go with out kids.[/Q] I gotta admit, the Palace has much to offer. I don't know what the "all inclusive" price is for everything, so it is impossible to say whether or not it can be done cheaper with the all-inclusive. I do know that the prices they quote on the tours can easily be beaten. The snorkeling, the ruins, even the golf. I own at a golf resort, but don't play, I've seen more ruins at more remote locations in the Yucatan than most visitors even know about and I have snorkeled at Cozumel. I am doing all of the above this May so I have a pretty good feel for what it costs to get around and do things in that part of Mexico. I don't like cruise ships because everything is so "planned", it sounds like the Moon resort is following the cruise ship busines plan. What is a good deal for you, is too restrictive for me. Going on pre-planned trips with english speaking guides with a bunch of gringos does not give anyone the real flavor of the country. I'm sure could replicate the Moon Resorts offerings in Miami.