Report Abuse

Re: Re: Trying to get rid of a timeshare already paid in full.

[Q=jbaa2] I own timeshare at Club Wyndham (Governor's Green) Williamsburg, VA. I am ready to get rid of the unit because I am not using it anymore. The timeshare gave me two companies they work with that will assist me in selling the unit. This is the thing though, I am not showing any profit from the sale. I was told the going rate is a 1/2 to 1 full penny per point. If that is the case, then there is no profit to sell the unit. Where is the profit in the sell of a timeshare that is paid in full without a monthly mortgage?[/Q] Despite (patently false) claims routinely and repeatedly made by hungry timeshare developer sales weasels, the blunt truth is that it is extremely rare that anyone [b]ever[/b] realizes a "profit" when they later sell their timeshare, regardless of the system --- Wyndham included. Resale value "is what it is". For most Westgate products, to cite a different example, that resale value is exactly [b]zero[/b]. For timeshares in other "chains", resale value is some fraction of the developer (Wyndham, in your case) purchase price, but [b]never[/b] is the resale value ever more than that original purchase price. Timeshares are not like real estate, where market value generally increases over time. No buyer cares one bit what a seller originally paid for their deeded ownership (or their points); that figure is irrelevant. Buyers (understandably) [b]only[/b] look at and [b]only[/b] care about what they can buy that same product for in the open resale market. It's that simple. Don't shoot the messenger, but if you can find a buyer and recover even a significant fraction of whatever you originally paid, you will be doing well. Seeking or expecting to realize a "profit" is a completely unrealistic pipe dream that will simply never be achieved. Just the same, I wish you good luck in finding a buyer. P.S. The absence of a mortgage does not enhance resale value. In fact, you couldn't even give any timeshare away at all [b]for free[/b] if there was still an outstanding loan balance. That outstanding debt would have to be satisfied [b]first[/b] before you could even [b]attempt[/b] a sale (or a giveaway).