Report Abuse

Re: Re: Cancelling within 10 days

[Q=peimans] One last question: does the 45 day time window for refund apply even if the contract says they have to refund within 20 days (I only ask because the 45 day window would include the first installment of the loan on Feb 11 and I'm thinking about blocking the payment through my bank)? And are they required to inform me if anything is missing in the recission package? I really appreciate all your help. We have been extremely anxious and feeling scammed regarding this situation so it's nice to know this is very doable. Happy new year to you too![/Q] I believe that the 45 day time period derives from the (Federal) Fair Credit Reporting Act here in the U.S.. Federal law prevails over all else, but the reality is that you will almost certainly receive your deposit refund within that 20 days you mention anyhow. No harm in arranging to "block" that scheduled February 11 payment, but the reality is that it will likely not even be an issue by then and all this will have already become "game over" before then. A developer is required by law to [b]process[/b] a timely and properly submitted rescission and issue 100% refund within 45 days. Nothing else. They are not obligated to "update" you at any time, nor to provide you with any form of rescission confirmation. Some do so, but none are legally [b]required[/b] to do so. I wouldn't worry that your rescission submission is "missing" anything. In the final analysis, all you really needed to provide (in a timely manner, signed by all contract signatories and sent to the correct address) is a clear identification of the contract at issue and your signed statement that you are exercising your legal right to rescind (cancel) that contract within the applicable state law deadline. This is more than just "very doable" --- [b]it's the law[/b]. Be grateful (and also proud) that you promptly took the initiative to discover and exercise your right of rescission during your brief (and also, your one and only) opportunity to do so. Far too many people don't read their contract before (or after) signing it and then subsequently also never bother to read their cancellation rights, [b]placed right into their hands at the time of contract execution[/b]. By the time they later learn that they could have reversed a bad purchase decision, the time to rescind has long expired and the law is no longer available to help them extricate themselves. This is a classic example of that old adage "You snooze, you lose". Take a deep breath, relax and sleep well tonight --- you've dodged a bullet. Good on 'ya!