Report Abuse

My renter cancelled out, now what do I do?

I got an email that someone wanted to rent our unit and was in a hurry to confirm and send payment. I responded via email and phone to give my address to send check and had confirmed with the Resort that they would be there. Renter and I confirmed over the phone and she was sending the payment overnight as discussed. Then she didn't send the payment and called to ask if the renter could check out late, which I gave the check out time, but also said most people just use the brand new clubhouse and shower facilities if they want to later in the day. I also asked if this meant they were cancelling out and she said no. A day later and no response to my calls and no payment received. Finally an email was sent that said they were going to pass on the unit. By now it was less than 1 week before the rental period and we couldn't bank the unit without a charge of $75 per RCI. How do other people protect themselves from being cancelled out on and taking a hit like this? This was my first experience at renting our unit and definitely not a good one...