Report Abuse

Re: Buying a timeshare to exchange in RCI

[Q=patriciaa534] Hello, I would like to get a timeshare in order to join RCI and book at other resorts. How would this work exactly? Do you get points to use based on the timeshare you bank? Thank you.[/Q] I strongly recommend [b]against[/b] buying [b]any[/b] timeshare if your goal is only to "exchange" it within RCI. Keep in mind that whatever you buy [b]will[/b] have annual maintenance fee obligations and you might still very well find (to your surprise and dismay) that you cannot even find any suitable "exchange" availability in the places / dates that you actually want to "trade" into; there are no guarantees. Also keep in mind that RCI membership itself is not free and that, membership cost aside, each and every individual RCI exchange involves a fee ($259 per exchange when I last knew, probably even more than that now). The longer answer is more complicated, involving understanding RCI's "valuation" system. I'm not going to go into great detail here, but basically RCI utilizes a valuation "currency" they call "TPU's" (trading power units). Whatever week you own and deposit with RCI would be assigned a specific TPU value. Your deposit must have enough "TPU's" to acquire an exchange week (which has its' own, likely different TPU valuation) --- [b]if[/b] you can find availability at all where / when you want to go. In short, you always have two different hurdles that you need to successfully jump in order to get an exchange with RCI --- space availability where / when you want to go [b]and[/b] a sufficient number of "TPU's" in hand to actually conduct the exchange once availability is found. At the end of the day, you might very well be better off just [b]renting[/b] a week exactly where and exactly when you actually want to go, rather than playing the expensive, uncertain "exchange game" --- and [b]without[/b] the ownership costs of ever-increasing maintenance fees, RCI membership costs and RCI "exchange" fees. If you're bound and determined to buy a timeshare, at least consider buying a week where / when you'd be willing to actually use it yourself. In my opinion, buying a timeshare [b]only[/b] to exchange in RCI will very likely prove to be a very disappointing fool's errand, but maybe you are willing to "roll those dice". I know that I certainly would [b]not[/b] do so or recommend anyone doing so. YMMV. Just my personal opinion. As always, to each their own....