Report Abuse

Re: Sheraton Vistana, Starpoints and exchanging

[Q=gingers20] Buyer beware... not all Starwood resorts transfer the Star Options on a re-sale within the Starwood System. It goes according to the by-laws of the resort association. I don't know about Vistana but Vistana Villages does not currently have this in their by-laws. I own at 2 Starwood resorts, Vistana Villages and Desert Oasis (both purchased through resale). The Villages came with Star Options the Oasis property did not. I was deeply disapoointed since I had planned on using the Oasis property to boost my trading power. If you buy at the Oasis you only get the float time you purchased at that resort. And you have no way of knowing that unless you are an owner and have access to the by-laws. And you cannot buy Star Option from the resort. I tried and was turned down. But if you have Star Options it is a great thing. You can trade to any resort within the Starwood system and not pay an exchange fee. I love it! Every resort has there own Star Option value. It goes by the time of year and type of unit you own. Vistana Villages is expanding and has two more phases to complete. The have also added 3 bedroom lock-offs into the mix now. Also Starwood resorts no longer deal with RCI. I was informed that there contract with them ended 12/06. They went with II hoping their resort owners would have better trading power then they did with RCI. I have never dealt with II so I don't know much about them. If anyone has can you tell me what kind of trading power have you received with them?[/Q] gingers20 I am just wondering, when you purchased a float week at Oasis did the seller have Staroption and you just can't transfer? The reason I asked that question, I have two weeks in older Courts section and will be trading up to a week this summer for a Vistana Village, since Courts at Vistana Resort didn't ever had Staroption since it was pre-Sheraton. But once I purchased a Vistana Village, I would become a SVN member and I was informed that my Cascades week would be offered Staroptions, since I now have paid my due (so to speak) retail buyer at Sheration/starwood. Did you purchased Oasis at a good price? so that you can trade up to another Village week? They will offer you 90% of the earlier retail price for your Oasis week. Another words, if you paid a buck for your Oasis, they would trade it against a new resort week and give you 90% of what your prior owner paid. Hope this helps.