Report Abuse

Re: Timeshare Points vs. Weeks

My sister in law is in a fixed week system with LWR. We have a small amount of points through Fairfield (105,000) Basically this is a one bedroom and will trade with RCI as a red week one bed room. However, we have received a lot more out of our money that my in laws. For example, a few years ago I stayed in a two bedroom for 5 days in Vegas at the Grand Desert a couple of years ago while on business. Since this was there Monday-Friday, I only used about half of my points that 7 days would have cost. I ended up rolling over the remaining point into RCI for two blue week studios. It cost me $25.00 x 2 to bank the points since I only had 1 free transaction for my amount of points I owned. That May, I (to my amazement) I looked at using the blue week studio at a resort in may that was in a white week. When I went to actually book my week, I ended up with a two bedroom, cost $159.00 That November, I booked the other blue week in Sedona and received a one bedroom deluxe for another $159.00 Bottom line, for a total of $350.00 I had 5 prime days (2 bedroom) in Vegas, 7 white days in Pogosa Springs (2 bedroom), and 7 white days (1 bedroom deluxe) in Sedona. 1 week in a Comfort Inn standard room would have cost that much or more. That was our first experience manipulating points. I have done similar booking since. After watching how we were able to get maximum use out of our points through Fairfield, my in laws bought a points into Sunterra and we are watching and comparing what kind of usage they are going to receive. I will follow up when I know more. My only regret is be bought from the resort for about $12,000 and I found out later I could have bought the same points resale for about $2500-4000.