Report Abuse

Re: Against RCI/II Rules to Rent out Exchanges

I agree with Jayay - I think this whole idea is kind of silly. Surely if it's true that some resorts ask the people checking into a resort on a guest certificate (for a week which was exchanged for), then for heavens sakes why would the person renting, gifting or whatever the week not warn those using it that they might be asked if they rented and if so, deny it or they might not be allowed to occupy the unit? That seems only a sensible thing to do. I can't see any way that the resort would know or could find out the relationship of the occupier with the person who got the exchange unless they ask, and frankly, I don't think it's their business anyway. People pay annual maintenance fees to their resorts for their weeks, and they pay fees to the exchange company to belong so they're qualified to make an exchange, and then they pay fees to actually make the exchange, and if they're going to let someone else use the week, then they pay for a guest certificate. To the best of my knowledge, this questioning of 'guests' did not happen in the two instances where I exchanged for a week somewhere other than my home resort, and ended up having someone else use the reservation. I asked for and got (and paid for) guest certificates in both cases, and of course then the name on the reservation was changed to the guest's name. Neither guest reported any such type of questioning to me. But these were Marriott resorts in both cases - maybe Marriott is an anomoly and doesn't ask and everywhere else they do? However, if in the future I ever have an exchange week I can't use for some reason, and someone else (my guest) is using it, I'll be sure to tell them if they're asked they should deny they rented it, or they might not get to stay. And I suggest others do likewise. That warning would seem to take care of any potential problems.