Report Abuse

Re: Can the timeshare company rent on the hotel market to non-owners?

I intentionally left name & location unspecified as I don't want to be making allegations when I am, at this time, merely curious and asking questions. Could be this is perfectly legit. The property is over 40 years old, so developer-owned seems unlikely, but a good theory. The main question I have centers around how, prior to about three or four years ago or so, no hotel room operations were taking place - in other words, timeshare owners only. Now, in any random week, I (or anyone off the street) can go in and literally rent a single night and, thus, make that week ineligible for use as a whole week timeshare. When I was last there, I queried the other guests - many of whom came and went on a daily or every other day basis - and, with the exception of ONE guest, none were timeshare owners. They were ALL hotel guests. I'm thinking they have found a lucrative - possibly very lucrative - way to sell timeshares ($ + ongoing fees) AND then sell the same product again ($$$$ = nightly!!) believing no one would ever put the pieces of the puzzle together. Most timeshare owners would think it's just a busy resort and move on...never thinking the management is conducting their business in a way that may be detrimental to honoring the promises made in the timeshare contract. The time sold no longer belongs to the developer, does it? I also do not know how the property sharing / trading agreements work and what is required between companies. This property shows up as available for use by owners of other brands via exchange. I have thought of contacting the Hawaii Attorney General's Office, or perhaps even the FTC due to the interstate nature of the transactions. In my gut, something fishy is going on. Thanks for the reply!