Report Abuse

Re: Renting a timeshare: How safe is it?

[Q=wyntreb] I have put in an offer to rent a week from a fellow on Redweek. No mention of a rental agreement. I've notdone this before so what should I know before I say yes? Thank you, Wyntre.[/Q] ======== Maybe the owner is new to renting or the time till check-in is very short. You might copy off jayjay's rental agreement from this site and offer it. Paying 50% up front and the balance about 60 days before check-in is typical. When I rent out a week which is pre-reserved I send the renter a copy of the confirmation which is in MY name to prove it exists and is NOT from an RCI or II exchange. When final payment is received, I call the resort and put it into the renter's name. If I have advertised a floating week and a renter chooses a specific week, I check availability and reserve in my name so that it does not "escape"! This is always chancy for the owner since potential renters are too often talking to more than one owner. We sometimes get left holding the bag and have to cancel, which can be a loss to us. If possible, I get final payment before putting the renter's name on the confirmation! Anyhow, if you are going to rent, do it as far ahead as possible, especially if a floating week is involved. Just because the owner is elegible to request "any time" does not mean that the time you want will be in the inventory. These are not hotels. Planning six months or more ahead is not at all excessive. WAY early for high demand dates and locations. MD