Report Abuse

Re: maintenance fees

[Q=maria985] [Q=gregs126] [Q=trish88] I am considering buying at Harborside but have heard that fees may be rising to over $2,200! Does anyone have any knowledge about this? That seems extremely excessive and out of line with all other luxury resorts. Are owners planning on doing anything about this?[/Q] If you want to stay at Atlantis but pay lower maintence fee's, buy a Starwood property in Orlando, or Scottsdale. The maintence fee's are lower and you can stay at any Starwood property including Harborside Resort Atlantis. Remember that the exchange power at Atlantis is much greater than most other properties. You would have to go off season to have an even exchange. I own at Vistana Villages in Orlando in HIGH season in a 2 bed-lockoff, the fee's are about $1,170. To get the same room at Harborside Atlantis I go during the off season, September. Also remember that you would have to wait four months longer to get a room, owners at their home resort can make reservation twelve months advance while owners at sister resort can reserve ownly eight months in advance.[/Q] This sounds like a good idea but you should buy where you want to go--there are plenty of web sites where timeshare owners share information and I can tell you that a constant comment is how hard it is to trade in to the big 3 Starwood resorts--St John, Harborside at Atlantis and Hawaii--Yes the fees are high and there is a reason. If you are happy to buy an Orlando timeshare and take your chances at getting in then go for it--but just know that you really should buy where and when you want to go. Just my opinion!!!!!!!!!!![/Q] I totally agree with you Maria. Actually if you look at the maintenance fee vs. staroption points that you receive for the respective units, you may pay a little more or the same (depending on the unit you own and the season) maintenance fee for Atlantis than Orlando. We looked at the option of buying outside Atlantis and figured out that there is not much difference in as far as maintenance fees and you are better off buying where you would have better trading power. I would rather pay a few hundred more and be able to go wherever and whenever I wish, otherwise owning a timeshare becomes work and a headache. Of course, the big difference was in purchase price, that too is somewhat like any real estate purchase in that a popular place will retain its' value. You get what you pay for!