Report Abuse

Catch 22 - Need advice as 1st time renter........

Let me preface this by saying I am pretty new to timeshare do's and don'ts. Here is my dilemma. I found a lady on e-bay who was advertising a week at the exact resort I wanted. Her record on e-bay was excellent, so I contacted her but it was a fixed week and did not work for me. She said she could get me something else through RCI (I think we know where this one is going?). She did get me what I wanted - we completed a rental agreement (Jayjay's template) according to our agreed upon terms; money was exchanged and she emailed me my reservation confirmation and my guest certificate. RCI also faxed me a confirmed guest certificate directly. While all this transaction was about to happen, I had been reading forums here trying to make sure I was doing things right (that is how I came up with the rental agreement) and after talking with her and her record on e-bay was excellent, I felt comfortable going forward. I had, however, read one or two forums about it being against the rules to rent to an exchange. I queried this with the lady (not understanding really what an exchange was at the time) and she don't worry about that, that she did this all the time and RCI don't really care. Frankly, I did not really understand much about "banked weeks" or "exchanges" and based on her re-assurance- I felt all was ok and went ahead. I have subsequently read more and more forums - and being more educated, I do believe she actually did rent me an exchange. I feel badly about this yet my money is paid and my reservation is confirmed. But I also learned from the forums that not only could her membership be cancelled with RCI but that I could be denied my reservation at check in - should they find out about this. Again, when I agreed to rent a week from her and I did not fully understand if it was or wasn't an exchange, the rules, or the ramifications. I queried it with the member and she assured me all was ok - in fact, she had me pay RCI directly the exchange fee and for my guest certificate - so I thought it was ok by them. Now I fully believe she rented an exchange to me against the rules, and fear something will go wrong with my reservation, through no fault of my own, and am very worried. On the one hand, it should be reported to RCI and on the other hand, I have a confirmed reservation that I paid for and if I report this, I will both loose my money and they will cancel my reservation and I will find myself "out in the cold". I have e-mailed to the member directly this week expressing my concerns about our transaction but no response for two days (despite her "immediate" response turnaround times prior to my asking about this and prior to finalizing the transaction). I don't want to push too hard - as she has the ultimate control to call RCI and cancel the booking and keep my money - yet she was in the wrong here; hence the catch22. Question - do I just keep my mouth shut and go forward and hope that all is well with my reservation and then chalk it up to lesson learned for future rentals or ??? I don't want to loose $600.00 when it was the owner/RCI member who was not completely candid about our transaction when asked. Also, by the way, when I asked her about it just before I paid the money - she said "trust me, I have been doing this for years and its no problem". I did trust her BUT I DON'T WANT TO SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES of her actions. I feel worried and bad about the whole thing, but again, I paid my $$$, I have a confirmed reservation and don't want to rock the boat and be left out in the cold at check in. What would you do ? Thankyou - Kimmy - PS - she lives very far away and it would be a total waste of time and money to try to sue her after the fact to re-cover my losses should I report her and then shoot myself in the foot in the process.