Report Abuse

Re: PERHAPS IT'S TIME FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT ....

[b]I do agree that the first thing anyone should do is file a formal complaint with the AG of the state where the upfront fee company is located, or, as Redweek member garym is trying to do, getting the media involved. However there has to be thousands upon thousands of timeshare complaints already filed with the AG in Florida over the years since there are so many timeshare resorts and units in that state. But I'm not sure the AG there is willing to pursue such complaints as timesharing is a major industry in that state that brings in tax revenue and major tourism dollars. If the AG had intervened I believe we would have seen some major changes in that industry. It's going to take action in another venue to bring about change. One change I would like to see is all presentations and transactions, regarding anything to do with the timeshare industry, be tape recorded and filed. I have read thousands of complaints that the developer salesperson verbally told buyers untruths that were not included in the written contract, which is the only contract that is legally binding. I always recommend that anyone buying a timeshare read their contract back and forth and in and out before signing on that dotted line, but people are on vacation and most are not going to waste time by reading a lengthy contract. They took the salesperson's word as truth. I couldn't/wouldn't join in such a class action lawsuit myself as I never contemplated contacting an upfront fee company to sell my timeshares in the first place. I would have rather given them away. Yes, the victims (complaintants) willlingly entered into an agreement with the upfront fee company, however the company more than likely lied to them by inflating the price they could get and telling them they had a buyer waiting in the wings for their timeshare. It's the lies that get to me along with the upfront fees. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't like federal government intervention and regulations but in this case I would applaud federal government getting involved to regulate all phases of the timeshare industry from developer salespeople lies to upfront fee companies to postcard companies and other scams involving timeshare.[/b]