Report Abuse

Re: WALK AWAY FROM TIMESHARE

[Q=pattig31] I'm telling you, you can walk away from the thing without serious impact. There might be a note on your credit report, but it will be ignored by most if not all financial firms (credit card companies and banks) given the high pressure sales approach timeshare firms take. Walking away is easy ....this is the dirty little secret the timeshare people don't want you to know (I am sure the bold script above was written by a timeshare employee hired specifically to supervise this blog and intervene when they feel it is necessary to protect their interests). Don't throw good money after bad....these firms will not spend money on lawyers chasing you. Accept you made a bad decision and walk away if you aren't receiving the value you expected. Also, when timeshare owners die...this is usually what happens.[/Q] [b]When you buy a timeshare, whether developer or resale, and you sign that contract you are then responsible for paying yearly maintenance fees and you CANNOT JUST WALK AWAY when you get tired of paying those fees without repercussions. If that was the case you would see millions upon millions of timeshare owners doing that and you would see NO RESALES in the marketplace ... people would just stop paying. Maintenance fees are the bread and butter of any resort and when you simply quit paying your fees you are adversely affecting all other owners since they have to then take up the slack for the freeloaders/non-payers. I have owned nine timeshare weeks and I would have never, ever neglected my obligation to pay my maintenance fees. I signed those contracts in good faith. The only other option you have is to ask the resort if they will take a deed back, but the vast majority will not do so. I'm mystified as to why you think a timeshare monetary obligation is any different from any other monetary obligation you owe?[/b]