Report Abuse

Re: How to get rid of a timeshare you no longer want ....

andria incorrectly states, quoted only in pertinent part: >> You can receive a tax credit of up to $5000.00... << ======================================= There is a clear and critically important difference between a tax CREDIT (which is dollar for dollar reduction in one's taxes due and which you certainly *CANNOT* ever get for a timeshare donation) and a tax DEDUCTION. A tax DEDUCTION is indeed possible, if you are fortunate enough to have the timeshare accepted for donation in the first place. The $5,000 figure cited above is also a bit misleading. More accurately stated, $5k is the "threshhold" of claimed value, above which amount the IRS requires a formal appraisal. Below that claimed value, on the other hand, it's just "fair market value", with no appraisal required, in order to claim a tax DEDUCTION. The net DEDUCTION value depends on your particular tax bracket, but the actual overall reduction in your taxes is likely about 28% of the claimed value of the donated week. I don't know a thing about trejesto, and I'm certainly all for charitable donation, but I felt compelled to correct these particular (and substantial) misstatements, just so that no one gets all starry eyed about the prospect of timeshare donation by taking the incorrectly stated claim in the post cited above too literally. I'm sure that the post cited is well intentioned, but I am equally sure that it is incorrect and misleading as presently stated.