Report Abuse

Re: How to get rid of a timeshare you no longer want ....

[Q=ken1193] [Q=kenr86] I'm not an accountant. However, I do have almost 13 years of university training completed as a doctor. I only say this to help you accept my ability to research, digest and present data I study. I've written a rather long article titled Timeshare Donation and IRS Regulation that is way too long to publish here. I took the details of IRS publications, forms and regulations, quoted them and summarized them into an understandable reading sufficient for an attorney or CPA to review but easy to understand for everyone else. If you're interested go to http://donatetimeshare.blogspot.com/ to read it.[/Q] ====================================== kenr86 is Ken Rich (who is by his own open admission on another site a retired chiropractor, hence "doctor"). He has already been slam dunked by very well informed and knowledgeable people on TUG and TS4MS, most of whom have forgotten more about timeshare than "Dr'" Rich will likely ever learn in his lifetime. . . . "Dr." Rich's "tax advice" has been appropriately dismantled, disemboweled and openly ridiculed by corporate CPA's and other well informed and experienced folks "in the know" on those above specifically identified, long established, and well respected timeshare sites. . . . "Dr." Rich recently scurried away from the aforementioned sites with his tail between his legs, actually saying "goodbye" upon doing so. . . . Oh, I almost forgot --- "Dr." Rich will also ultimately want payment of $500 from you to benefit from his particular timeshare donation "wisdom". . . . Forewarned is forearmed. [/Q] Ken1193, It appears you don't like chiropractors and dismiss their use of the term doctor. All I can say, is look the word up in a dictionary. 13 years of university training and my multiple degrees qualify me for legal, proper, fair and qualified use of the term doctor. Interestingly, I never hide behind false names or titles. I'm more than willing to tell people my name, which most of those supposed experts you refer to on the TUG were unwilling to do. Here's another interesting fact. There was NO accountant or CPA that reviewed the information I gave. There was one referred to and I asked that he review it. Unfortunately, for whatever reason he didn't do it. So as for ". . .appropriately dismantled, disemboweled and openly ridiculed by corporate CPA's and other well informed. . ." you can do the same thing I did. Ask those that posted blasts with no references or follow up, other then lame opinion, what their source of opinion was. I would challenge any reader to go to the material I've written and especially the TUG you mentioned and read the whole thread to see who dismantled whom. Calling something you don't like, haven't bothered to read or research yourself and giving no justification for your opinion in response is the sign of a lame and stilted bias. I'm sorry you seem to have such. I again ask, read what I post and find what's wrong with it. Get a CPA to read it and tell me what's wrong with it. As for my having ". . . scurried away from the aforementioned sites with his tail between his legs. . ." I suggest you go back and reread my final post. It was obvious that several readers had found that the thread had become more entertaining than informative. I had written all that was necessary and a whole lot more for those wanting the information and had answered EVERY question asked of me (many of the other posters never did answer questions I posed). I said goodbye and didn't scurry ". . . away from the aforementioned sites with (my) tail between (my) legs. . .". There was simply no point in continuing to try to educate those with no desire to learn. I had answered every question. I had given detailed and concise explanations. I had heavily quoted IRS regulations and publications. All of it was ignored with the continued attacks of biased opinions. I simply don't waste my time on idiots. I'm more than willing to give anyone a chance to understand what I'm doing and saying, but once they show their lack of listening, why continue to try to open a closed mind? Yes there is a $500 fee. Why? because unlike other NPOs that take the timeshare and immediately sell it and keep the money, we don't. In fact, it was all explained on the TUG. That $500 is the only compensation we receive for taking the timeshare. We hold it for 36+ months due to IRS requirements for how we do things. That's what allows us to give a much higher donation credit than the normal NPO which ultimately gives a higher tax refund back to the donor. But I guess, you, like several of the members of the TUG, are willing to work at a loss. In fact, one of them suggested that people should be willing to work for 7 years without pay and then only receive monthly pay from the previous 7 years while they continue to work, without any interest AND be willing to give that up on the whim of the employer. Unfortunately, the NPO I work with, like almost every other person and business I know or have heard of, do require some compensation for their service. As a final question, what suggestion do you have, or the glorious members of the TUG for that matter have, for those poor souls who have a timeshare, want desperately to get out of it, have tried everything they can to sell it and can't even give it away to any other NPO they've contacted? (Check around. This is far more true than you may think). We don't try to cheat people. The $500 is clear on our website. We receive nothing until the closing company of the owner's choice actually transfers title to us and they are out of it (unlike paying to list it). If someone comes to us, we are generally the last option they have and we service them effectively and inexpensively at a cost far less than the $3,995 or more some companies charge. Thank you for the opportunity to respond to soundless aggression. Dr. Ken Rich