Report Abuse

Re: How to get rid of a timeshare you no longer want ....

Ken Rich states, quoted only in pertinent part: >> As for proposing ". . . completely untested and entirely subjective theories on IRS tax implications --- theories never before advanced by experienced CPA's, tax attorneys, or similar folks. . ." I would ask you to simply go to the blog yourself and read it for yourself. While doing that, you will find that the majority of the material presented is direct quotation and simple explanation of the IRS regulations and publications. << ==================================== Actually, I have read ALL of your donation related material (on TUG, TS4MS, blog and RedWeek) before responding, and my points remain exactly the same: 1. You are neither a tax attorney nor a CPA and the fact that you are apparently motivated enough to read and subjectively interpret IRS regulations and publications does NOT in any way bestow upon you ANY authority or ANY expertise in tax matters. You have repeatedly failed to indicate that you have ANY endorsement whatsoever of your tax theories from ANYONE with ANY actual expertise in such matters. Would endorsement of your theories from a properly credentialed CPA or tax attorney make any difference? Of course it would. But rather than seek or provide that, you instead attempt (unconvincingly) to shift that responsibility onto the dubious reader. In the scientific method, "proof of claim" doesn't work that way. YOU ALONE own that responsibility --- not the disbelievers who challenge you. 2. I have no "agenda", other than to caution prospective timeshare sellers (some of whom border on desperate) that you are in NO position to be offering tax advice which is NOT advanced or supported by ANYONE ELSE in the tax arena, and among whose numbers are many experienced timeshare owners and users. My offering words of caution, and expressing my own personal belief and opinion that you simply have NO credibility, is not an "agenda". I have very clearly stated already that I do not have a solution for the disposal of timeshares which are essentially worthless in the marketplace. My absence of a solution, however, does not preclude my openly and publicly disbelieving your own personal, subjective and unproven tax theories and interpretations. In the unlikely event that ANY tax attorney or CPA (or a written IRS opinion) EVER steps forward to endorse your innovative interpretations of timeshare donation tax implications, I will be the first person to humbly and voluntarily stand to be corrected. Frankly, I am quite confident that no such exercise of humility will ever be necessary. Moreover, I think it insults the intellect to ask or expect anyone to believe that you, a retired chiropractor, have "discovered" a timeshare donation solution which professionals employed and working daily in the tax field have somehow just "missed". I intend no ad hominem attack upon you. I simply and plainly do not find you credible and am openlly saying so. If others choose to buy into your program (literally)that is certainly their prerogative --- and I wish them luck. They may need it, unless you intend to offer to pay all the taxes (and penalties) subsequently imposed by the IRS on deductions disallowed in the course of a tax audit...