Report Abuse

Re: Who pays taxes at check-in?

[Q=adahiscout] [Q=georget] In St Maarten NA there is a $50 occupancy tax at check-in for all resorts and a $20 or $30 fee to leave the island that maybe included in your airlines ticket cost. At Oyster Bay Beach Resort and most other island resorts there is an electricity tax per day based on unit size if you want air conditioning, renters choice. I inform any potential renter of these additional fees up front but I also set my rental price accordingly.[/Q] === Do hotels lower their prices when the city adds a tax? MD[/Q] What would be their incentive to do so? The tax hits the competition (all the other hotels in the city) as well and the presence or absence of a tax doesn't add or subtract anything to the hotel's bottom line (it only impacts the accounting department who has to track and pay the taxes). Think about it, when a hotel quotes you a room rate do they ever include all of the taxes in the number they give? - does an airline ad ever include all of the taxes and fees (and fuel surcharges and extra baggage fees)?