Report Abuse

Sunterra Points

[Q=kayes15] [Q=mike1536] [Q=kayes15] Any thoughts on Sunterra Points system[/Q] Do you have a specific question(s)? The system provides a good deal of flexibility, but the biggest question is what are you buying and from whom. Are you buying a Diamond Resort from a developer? Are you buying a unit that is part of the Florida Trust whereas you can swap into one of 20 TS? There are many questions of whether or not a purchaser of a resale unit can join Club Sunterra or not. Some say it costs an extra $3000-$4000 to join. This would give you the opportunity to book into the 100 or so Sunterra resorts world wide. I've also felt the annual fees were higher than average. If you join Club Sunterra it's a 'base fee' of a few hundred dollars plus a per point fee. Please don't quote me but I think the per point fee was something like 7 cents/point (10,000 points would be around $1000/year). Other posters...please correct me if I'm wrong. Mike[/Q] I am currently an ower at Flamingo Beach. recently purchased by Diamond Resorts. I'm being urged to join the Club and convert to the point system. So far I have resisted because it requires an addition investment of serveral thousand dollars. I just want to know what others think of the point system.[/Q] ================== I sat through a Sunterra presentation and liked the system, but I thought the prices and MFs were too high. With any Points system, you have the flexibility of shorter or longer stays, or extending your vacations by staying in smaller units. They probably want you to buy a small points package of 2000-3000 points for $6000-$7000, correct. I find that's outrageous. You shouldn't have to "re buy" your week. If you want to convert, try to talk them down to a more reasonable figure. Also find out how many Points they are offering for your unit. Ask for a copy of their directory so you can see how many points it would take for you to travel to where you would like to go. It doesn't make any sense to convert if you don't get enough points to take advantage of the flexibility. If they won't give you a book, I have last years book, so let me know how many points they are offering and I can give you a sampling of what you have available. If you plan on using your home resort, and only do limited exchanges, then there is no need to convert. Mike