Report Abuse

Non-payment is not a good choice...

[Q=eleanorb5] Help me dispose of my week. I stopped paying the fees and told them to take it, but they keep trying to collect and add more and more fraudulent fees.[/Q] ====================================== Unfortunately, you can't force them to take your timeshare back if they simply don't WANT to take the deed back. The legally owed money from owner fees is far more valuable to them than the paper deed to something they would have difficulty reselling --- and no one pays any maintenance fees on an unsold "paper" week. Accordingly, they want the money you owe them a whole lot more than they want your deed back... The truth is, you OWN the timeshare (and you own the legal responsibility for its fees, as well as any interest and late payment charges imposed on unpaid fees) until you legally part with your ownership. Those fees are surely unwelcome, but are not actually "fraudulent". Ultimately, they MAY foreclose on you, but since that process costs money in legal fees and is also quite time consuming, that is definitely their last choice of action. Foreclosure also results in the filing of a negative credit report against you, if that is of any concern to you (it will certainly come up when you apply for any future loans, mortgages, etc.). Before even considering initiating foreclosure proceedings, they will likely first engage collection agencies to hound you to "square up" with your accumulating debt. It's a tough pill to swallow, I know, but if you are really and truly desperate, you might at least consider just paying what you owe in arrears fees (and stop the interest and late charges from accumulating any further) and then put the timeshare up on Ebay for one dollar, just to get rid of it, with the buyer paying the closing costs. Although the Celebrity name is not at all well respected among experienced timeshare owners, someone on eBay might still think it's a bargain and worth the risk --- for only a dollar, anyhow. In any scenario, you are ultimately legally responsible for those fees. Whatever you decide to do, don't take the "ostrich approach" (stick your head in the sand, hope that it all goes away on its own --- it won't). Be proactive and get out from under this burden. You'll lose money, but you'll retain your sanity and peace of mind. Just my personal opinion...