Report Abuse

Contracts...

[Q=adahiscout] [Q=ken1193] patricias379 states: >> I discussed the situation with a neighbor involved in a timeshare company and he tells me these contracts are written in such a way that it is nearly impossible to get out of them. << Your neighbor is dead wrong. Any and every such contract has a rescission period, specifically provided by law, during which any buyer can change their mind, without offering any reason or explanation, simply cancelling the contract outright. Once that rescission period expires, however (just like any other contract...) it becomes a binding legal document, voluntarily executed and signed. Why people ever sign contracts they haven't even read just mystifies me. Why they then also wait a week (...or until after the rescission period is actually over) to even bother to read a binding legal instrument and discover (by then, too late) that they have voluntarily signed something which is "not what they thought it was" mystifies me further still. I'll just never understand it. ================================================ Re: >> What they tell you during their presentation isn't what is written in the contract. How do you prove that?<< There is nothing to "prove", since any and all verbal statements made during the presentation mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the eyes of the law. ONLY the actual written contract contents matter --- period. This is why people should read and understand every word of a contract before signing ANYTHING. Relying upon the verbal claims of a lying weasel salesman without making sure that any and all such claims are also reflected IN WRITING within the contract is just sheer folly.[/Q] ====== Yes: It is the contract that counts. This is for the very good reason that we all tend to have "selective memory". People remember what pleases them and forget or fail to fully understand what does not. At one time I was in insurance sales and vividly recall meeting one lady who was positive she had a Medicare Supplement which she proudly showed to me. Across the top in large RED print was the statement that this was an Accident policy, NOT a Medicare Supplement. For good measure, the salesperson (not my company) had heavily circled this statement for added emphasis. I suspect she could not qualify for his regular Medicare Supplement for health reasons or could not afford it, so the Accident policy was the best he was able to do for her. Had she tried to use it toward the expenses of illness, she would have been very disappointed. On the other hand, if she was in an accident, it would have been just what the doctor ordered! MD[/Q] I think people remember what displeases them most. I clearly rember all the bad things that happened on vacation for ex: room broken into, forgot to book us on a trip so we had to wait 2 hrs..... I had some fun but if I were to rate it I would say it was the worste vacation I took because I rember the bad things about it more clearly.