Report Abuse

Re: RCI Class Action Lawsuit

froliger states in part: >>My last call to RCI on 8/4/2008....actually told me that he could not exchange my week, but if I wanted if could rent a week from RCI directly and pay RCI $ 1500.00. I was irate and he knew it. I can't use my banked week any where, but I could rent from them directly. I have made a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.<< ================================================ Unfortunately, your complaint to BBB was a waste of your time and effort, since RCI can do whatever RCI WANTS to do with any / all weeks voluntarily deposited with them. That indisputable fact is clearly stated in writing within the printed terms and conditions of RCI membership. That said, your recent experience really speaks right to the heart of the basis of the lawsuit. RCI was originally established as an exchange company, but the plaintiffs in this case clearly feel (and openly assert in their complaint) that RCI has increasingly abandoned that model, with direct rentals of prime weeks being far more profitable for RCI than the mere collection of an exchange fee. "Let's see now..." (RCI might very well ask itself) "...should we rent out this deposited week we have for $1,500.00, or should we instead offer it to a RCI member as an exchange and collect only a $169 exchange fee in the process?" Do the math here --- at nearly TEN TIMES the profit for a rental (vs. an exchange fee), the answer is painfully obvious... Personally, I don't like (or trust, or use) RCI. Accordingly, I have "no dog in that fight". Nonetheless, being interested (and formerly employed, before retirement) in matters of law, as well as being a long time interval owner myself, I will be VERY interested to read the court order and/or the terms of settlement, when available...