Report Abuse

warning about potential scams

[Q=jimmyl24] I was reading messages about rci and complaints about them and their network affiliates. I thought I provide you with my personal experience with my rci mastercard which I got when I signed up for a timeshare purchase in Cancun Mexico this summer. Hopefully this can help others. It started with us buying a 2/2 unit, yacht club membership and equestrian..for over US$24,000. I was approved by the above mentioned company and the whole amount was charged as authorized. While still in Cancun and within 3 business days, I decided to cancel my timeshare contract. The timeshare hotel operator gave me the run-around and I was told and shown a piece of paper that I had waived my right to cancel when I signed for a price reduction. This was signed but we did not get a copy of in our official contract. My research showed that this was not the case and I realized that they were not negotiating in good faith and so I visited Profec, the tourism arm that protects the consumer in Mexico. There is another story there but let me continue with what happened. Profeco negotiated on my behalf and I went back to the hotel with the correct paperwork and they still gave me a hard time. After hours of stalling, I got my credits back based on my contract and was satisfied with what I did. A month after, however my credit card had a bill that reflected over a $500 difference that I was still owing. I had never spend any money on that new rci mastercard issued by bank of america. I was told it was currency adjustment...but my transaction was in US$. I submitted all the necessary documents but so far to no avail. Compounded by all of this, I have a related identity theft on this same card. Things to learn here, use your existing card to buy from out of country. Timeshares can be great for the right situation but buyers beware of unscrupulous operators and their financial agents who support them. [/Q] [b]I would continue working with Profeco and RCI's credit card's customer service (or higher management) until this dispute is resolved ..... whatever you do, don't give up. BTW, it's against Mexican law for the rescission period to be waived by a resort for ANY REASON.[/b]