Report Abuse

Re: Timeshares is good investment or not.

ghww says timeshares are a "fantastic" monetary investment and comparable to investments in the stock market and real estate prior to the recent financial collapse. In my opinion, and statistically supported, the average "Joe" or "Jane" with a minimal knowledge of either the stock market and/or housing market could have made money over the last twenty years excluding the last year but I submit that no average investor could have consistently made money investing in timeshares over the same period. Its possible that some bottom feeders, including PC companies, who are willing to make unconscionable offers to desparate sellers and in turn willing to sell to an uninformed buyer could make money in the timeshare market but I think the number of folks who consistently make money doing this is so miniscule that it is not measurable. Certainly not the average investor or should I add anyone with a degree of morality. In reality a timeshare is not a good monetary investment for the average person but rather an expenditure for vacations and enjoyment for the family. The payment of $5,000 for a family cruise is not a good monetary investment because at the end of the cruise one has nothing but pleasant memories. A timeshare purchase should be viewed in the same light. It is an investment in memories for the family with a minimal hope of later recoverying a portion of the purchase price and fees paid during the ownership. To illustrate, consider you purchase a $20,000 timeshare that you expect to own and use - not rent out - for a period of 12 years. That $20,000 invested at 6% would double in value to $40,000 in 12 years so you have a negative investment of $20,000 just from the loss of earnings. Assume you have an initial MF of $600 that increases annually at 6%. In 12 years you will have invested $11,000 (rounded) in fees. This makes for a negative return of $31,000 not including the II and/or RCI fees you will pay. If you are like many purchasers you will finance the purchase through the developer and pay a typical 14% for 10 years resulting in $14,000 in interest assuming a 10% down payment. That means you have a negative investment of $45,000 plus. The at the end of the 12 years you will be fortunate to recover 30% of the initial purchase price or say $6,000. That is not a "fantastic" investment. But, if it was in a desirable location in the right season you have memories that are invaluable.