Report Abuse

Re: Timeshare Points vs. Weeks

According to the guy I talked to last night, it is NOT RCI that will be dealing with our Kaanapali Beach Resort if we convert to points, it is II. For the sum of $3000 they'll convert us from RCI to II, and yes, you're right, it is Diamond who then has everything in a points system. Apparently, if I got this right, Diamond has some sort of proprietary system in association with II-- so you go to Diamond's website, which pulls up their linked-in system with II, and they have points attached to each property. You make your choices using the points allotted to you with your timeshare and decide what property to visit utilizing your points. Supposedly you still have the opportunity to go to your home resort each year if you wish. Also, if you go to another timeshare in a 59-day window, then the resorts "cost" half as many points. From what we were told, the idea is to generate more availability by having each timeshare deposited automatically in the system in the last part of the year, and you choose where you want to go from what will supposedly be a larger pool of available timeshares. The reasoning was that something like 1/3 of the timeshares in II went un-used last year because people didn't deposit them, or they got deposited late in the year and went unused because of that. That's my understanding, but heaven knows I may be off on this because ... well yeah the guys lips were moving *vbg*