Report Abuse

Re: belaire golf resort and spa

I have to agree with above post- run, don't walk away from Bel Aire. I don't need to restate what many have said here and the reasons why it looks like a scam at worst, speculative risky venture at best, so will focus on how to get out. If you're already in, call PROFECO immediately to help you get out. They have English speaking reps and know all about Belaire. Thank god for the TugBBS blog (http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/mexico/76314-belaire-golf-resort-spa-puerto-vallarta.html), which was the impetus for us to cancel our contract. Thank you to the person who wrote about PROFECO being able to help as well, because honestly, as much as I’ve traveled and lived in Latin America, I would never have thought the government would be able to help in a situation like this, what with all the red tape and bureaucracy in Mexico. PROFECO was AMAZING, and helped us get all our money back, and we are truly in their debt. I can’t say enough positive things about both the local PROFECO office in Manzanillo where we went in person, and the national office with whom we talked several times on the phone. I don’t remember reading the status on any posts, but currently there is NO PROFECO office in Puerto Vallarta. We were told by the national office that they are trying to set up one next year. The PROFECO website had exactly what we needed:www.profeco.gob.mx/english, and clic on "take your time when buying a timeshare." It gives you the toll-free phone number to call and speak to an english speaking representative. fyi: The PROFECO office in Manzanillo was wonderful and helpful, however, they didn't have any english speakers there, though if my husband and I weren't fluent in Spanish, I'm sure we would have figured something out, someone to translate for us. It is extremely important that you cancel within 5 business days, since as per Mexican law, you are guaranteed a full refund without penalties. I did read in another blog that PROFECO helped someone out of a contract who was past the 5 days, but they didn't give specifics, so I can't speak to that. Luckily, we started researching BelAire right after we signed, so were within the 5 days. When we called BelAire to cancel our contract from the Manzanillo PROFECO office, the BelAire rep tried to get us to agree to let them keep the $2000 closing costs, and the Profeco Licensiado helping us told the guy, no way, under 'such and such' law they don't have a right to that. We ended up agreeing to letting BelAire keep a couple hundred dollars for 'their trouble', but it was actually on advice of the Profeco agent, that we may want to make a deal or else we may have to fight it in court. Regarding Bel Aire, although we felt how shady this when we went in there, somehow we got convinced to buy in. It was as if we were drugged or something (definitely mentally drugged). I remember saying to my husband at one point while we were in the middle of everything, “I just feel totally beaten down.” Can you imagine saying that, and still going through with a deal? He obviously was beaten down as well, because we went through with it. We are intelligent people who have traveled the world and know how to stand up for ourselves and speak our minds. However, we have never had an experience like this before—we had not experienced high-pressure, manipulating sales techniques, and it totally caught us unawares. It was truly a humbling and personally shame-producing experience. So shameful that I've been unable to write on the blog about it for months. One important point: according to PROFECO, it is ILLEGAL for a Mexican contract to stipulate that you agree to waive the right to cancel, which is what our contract stated which we signed. They used the tactic of "we're buying these weeks from you right now, so that means you can't cancel your contract". However, this doesn't hold ANY weight in law. Let me say clearly, that YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT (within 5 business days), NO MATTER WHAT RIGHTS YOU SIGN AWAY! And the BelAire people know that. they didn't even contest that point because they know that it isn't legal. I do wish the best for all of you/us, affected by this company. I hope I and many others are wrong, and that it all turns out to be a positive venture.blessings.