Report Abuse

Re: Give away timeshare to charity

I've found that these charities don't really want the timeshares. They only want the money that the timeshares will bring. That's why they won't take title until and unless they find a buyer and have money up front from them (the new buyers) before they will accept your unit. So you will continue to own and pay taxes and fees until it is sold. So it can hardly be said that they are accepting a "donation" from you. Actually, all they do is act as a broker, and try to sell your unit for you. For that, they take 100% commission. Cute. You may as well sell it yourself. But the truth is, the units really can't be sold. No one wants it. I tried to give mine away, and I offer it to any person who calls me and wants to market my timeshare. No one will touch it. If the units had value, they would be accepted as donations. But they are NOT accepted until they are carefully evaluated, if at all. Timeshares are WORTHLESS, in terms of value on the open market. They must be aggressively SOLD by a pro, in an intense selling session. That's my opinion, anyway.