Report Abuse

Comparing Apples to Oranges...

Jayjay says "Carvana . . . flatly stated that a deceased's timeshares is Not the responsibility of his/her estate" I never said that. I said you were wrong when you said the estate is responsible for the fees until the timeshare is sold or retitled. The estate is responsible only for paying the claims that are timely filed and that applies to maintenance fees as well as any other debt. Miss the deadline for an unsecured debt (maintenance fee) and the Timeshare is out of luck. Their only recourse is foreclosure. Many creditors subscribe to services that continually screen probate records in all fifty states to identify newly opened probates and this information is then in turn filtered against their customer base to ensure that a probate claim, if appropriate, is timely filed. This is a sophisticated and expensive service and is typically not used by Timeshare Owner's Associations because of the expense involved. Plus, this works only if there is an open probate. One of my clients recently died with a multiple million dollar estate. There will be no probate because we structured his estate so that all property including his residence passed outside of probate. We used inter vivos trusts and life estate ownership and there was no need for a probate. This client did not have a timeshare but I am certain that no Timeshare Ownership Association would have been aware of his death since there was no probate and in the highly unlikely event they were aware of his death they would not have incurred the expense of forcing the opening of a probate to collect a one time $500 to $1,000 maintenance fee. Please read the artilcle, by an attorney, I referenced in "Timesharing Today" and it may help you understand the difficultry Timeshare Owners Associations encounter on the death of a owner when the heirs do not voluntarily pay the fees Your lack of a legal background and your reliance on TUG CPAs to answer legal questions may be too much of a roadblock to your understanding the legal complexities involved but please for your sake and that of those who read your posts, give it a try. Do your TUG advisors somehow think that in the absence of a probate the ownership is magically retitled in the name of an unwilling heir and at the same time the mangement company is notified of the filing of this deed and the name of the new owner? If you really believe that, I have a bridge for you at a bargain price. It was formerly in London but is now in Arizona. I will even allow you pay for the bridge over the next few years at two points over prime. Interested? Please let go of this issue and do not continue to embarrass yourself. Stick to the areas where you excel including advising people not to pay unfront advertising fees.