Report Abuse

Vacation Village Points

[Q=ken1193] [Q=morris119] I own 2 units at Vacation Village Weston and until a recent holiday never had been approached or informed about points. Now I'm told that: - the cost of conversion is $4995 - I was offered a conversion cost of $2995 for the 2 units - I can only convert through the developer Are there any other ways to convert?[/Q] ====================================== You haven't identified or specified the "flavor" of points involved here (and there are many), but I'm assuming it's RCI. If so, the simple answer to your question is no. You could buy a week which has ALREADY been converted to points by someone else, BUT.....some cagey resorts have "points" accounts which revert right back to being "weeks" again upon subsequent resale, so that the next poor fool can and will pay them all over again to convert to points (again) --- Oyster Bay and Oyster Pointe in Sebastian, FL come to mind as examples of this particular racket / practice. The more critically important question, however, should be whether or not you MUST convert to points at all. If you have deeded ownership of fixed weeks which you like and which you use -- then there is absolutely no possible benefit to you that I can think of (but lots of "found money" cash to the resort, however) for you to convert over to RCI points. On the contrary, this exorbitant "conversion" fee may very well be more than the current market value of the week itself (which you ALREADY own --- so why buy it all over again?). You could also very well find in the future that you can't even be guaranteed to get into weeks / units which you already own now IF you convert to points. Making that unfortunate discovery too late (and thousands of wasted dollars later) would be a very bitter pill to swallow.[/Q] Last year I purchased a week "New Year's Eve week" at Palm Beach Shores Resort. The first year I came there, they approached me regarding the point system. I kept my deed but did get in the point system. Tell me if I am understanding you properly. Now that I converted to points I am not gauranteed New Years Eve week should I want it?