Report Abuse

Re: Grupo Mayan

I am not really Timeshare savvy, but I want to ask a few questions. My parents have a timeshare with GM, the Mayan Palace Level. The timeshare only has a short time left before it expires and we can renew for another 25 years for a rather nominal fee. I talked about upgrading to the Grand Mayan, but wanted to visit before I bought. I was told that I could not do this (even though I offered to go during a period of lower vacancy, pay and listen to the sales presentation), and would have to stay at one of the Mayan Palace properties or elsewhere and come see the property and do the sales presentation. I really didn't like this approach becuase the only reason I would visit was to upgrade. Now that I read a lot of posts, it appears that people have issues making reservations, so perhaps the places are full all of the time. Is this like the airlines where they overbook (oversell) rooms? Also, are these GM hotels really as nice as the high end hotels like the Ritz or Four Seasons or what level are they really? Finally, if you some of you are owners of the Mayan Place or Grand Mayan properties is it worth about 10x to upgrade from my MP level to the GM? Thanks