Report Abuse

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst

Sorry to see so many are working themselves into a panic just over one month after MVCI introduced their new method of selling Marriott timeshares. Seems extreme to go out and sell off all your timeshares or declare war on a company that has been the leader and stable force in this industry from the day they entered it 25 or so years ago. Before Marriott it was the wild west. Since they entered many other big names have entered and made timehares a key way to travel for those needing more than a hotel room and high levels of luxury. So many ask why would Marriott make this change. The answer is always, for a publicly traded company, to improve the bottom-line. In this very tough economy many struggling timehshare firms have simply gone under or sold out to companies with capitol to spare. DRI for example is on a buying tear and now has hundreds of properties from dozens of firms that were struggling. Marriott cannot allow quality and standards to drop since it would impact their corporate name which exceeds MVCI by magnitudes. They hold all new inventory and all remaining inventory or defaulted/repossessed inventory at "sold out" properties. They must pay the maintenence fees/reserve fees/etc for all this inventory until they sell it. Rentals are the only mitigating source for them to fund this major expense. MVCI's challenge is how do we move this unsold inventory? Since the point system is not tied to a specific property they can sell points for existing inventory, but market them as having an opportunity to vacation at any MVCI site (just like weeks were marketed when Marriott started out using RCI/II and MVCI exchanges). Without sales Marriott will stop building new properties and simply manage properties (which they do well). Since even Marriott has been hurt by the slow economy of post 2005/6 they need to either improve sales (the bottom-line) or divest. I am happy they are trying something new to keep sales/ownership percentage high. Remember our property fees would double or triple if ownership percentages drop or Marriott divests. Additionally, property quality would quickly degrade. So it seems we can divest ourselves of MVCI and look elsewhere for a better alternative. ( There are none. I own dozens of timeshares with all the major players, but Marriott is still the best.) I stronly suggest we all allow the system to get started, wish MVCI all the best, and keep providing management sound constructive feedback on how best to navigate this time in our history. Rember Marriott and MVCI are for profit companies and will respond to any input that helps them improve the bottom-line. My final thought is that this economy will someday improve and those who stand by the best or even buy into the best in the business will be the benefactors in a few years. (note DRI and others are buyers not sellers as they get steals from distressed firms/owners). For me I'll be happy to buy 5 Star MVCI properties for pennies on the dollar. I've bought three this summer. Happy vacationing and don't stress too much remember the reason we bought our first timeshare was to learn to relax and enjoy the good-life. Erman Cordova Bought Marriott's first timeshare and still buying and vacationing with a smile.