Report Abuse

Re: Marriott Going to Point System

The maintenance fees are $.40 per point. So for 1,750 points, it would cost .40*1,750=700. So an additional $700 per year for adding 1,750 points. I'm not really sure what 1,750 will get me. You can only bank unused points I believe for 1 year and I'm concerned I could end up leaving points on the table. Beyond that, it's really a matter of dishing out $17K and then adding $700 to the $1,600 I already pay. If the economy was more stable, I would go for it. I still think being a buyer in a recession can actually be the best time to buy, as sellers are eager to offer incentives since buyers are scarce. But Marriott is very conservative and won't respond to the current conditions by offering a cash for clunkers style fire sale. But it's still real estate and I expect to see prices lower to get me to move. As always, Marriott will continue to increase the cost and you won't see reductions. Marriott expects there will always be buyers regardless of the economy. People enjoy vacations and will continue to travel. Thanks for your advice, as I've been up 2 nights in a row. I still may add more, as I actually like the new program, as the point system is just a new option for those who want to explore other resorts. If you mostly want to visit your home resort, the point system is not a fit.