Report Abuse

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst

[Q=thomasn15] Thanks to everyone for your excellent information and insights as we try to sort through this complicated new Marriott points program. I can add to the discussion from my own recent first hand experience. I am a longstanding 5 week owner, all bought through Marriott, including 3 Hawaii properties. Like most everyone else, I have been quite sceptical of this new program because I was exceedingly pleased with the prior program and because I have heard and read about so many the horrors of the points programs of other timeshare companies. However, since I have multiple high value properties, I decided to enroll even though I plan to rarely trade for these new points. In my analysis of the new program, I have determined that the best way to receive great value from the points is to focus on "weekday" stays (which require less points), and to travel in non peak periods. For example, the 800 points they give you for signing up can get you 8 or more "weekday" nights of 2BR units (at 75 or 100 points a night) in places like Hilton Head and Orlando during certain times of the year. Plus you can use these "weekday" nights to sort of fill in nights that you may need to extend a longer vacation. (My wife and I are doing a 7 day cruise in January, and we are "filling in" two extra nights after the cruise and have reserved a Marriott timeshare using points.) However, there are major, major pitfalls in the new program that need to be managed. First of all, even though they say that points you trade for are good for two years, this is not exactly accurate. I traded one of my 2011 weeks for points yesterday and after doing so (to my surprise) the Marriott representative said I have until June 30, 2011 to "bank my points". I thought I had just done that but she explained that unless I make a 2011 reservation using the points by June 30, these point will only be usable in 2011, or they will be lost. However, if I "bank" them by June 30, then the points will no longer be usable for 2011, but will have to be used for 2012. (So, it does not work like II where you give up a week and then have two or three years to make a trade; or it does not work like the Marriott Hotel Points program where you give up your timeshare for points and then can use whenever.) I asked the rep if this, in fact, was all true so she then verified it all with her supervisor. Also, Marriott is totally disorganized in the management of the new program. The Marriott timeshare website does not show your points anywhere, so you have no record that they did the transaction correctly when you trade your unit for points. I asked for an email confirmation and I still have not received anything. (In my case this is most disconcerting since for some reason Marriott has my 5 ownership units in two separate accounts and the rep, at first, could only see half of my units on her computer). Also, the Marriott website does not currently let you do any of this online. (They say they are working on this.) So, you have to call in and do it by phone, and the wait times can be rather lengthy. Of course, the next big problem with the program is that the II inventory has definitely, definitely, definitely already been affected, so trades traditional type are already much harder to do. My net conclusion, is that I do not like the program, but I will try to make it work as best I can. But, I will never again recommend a Marriott timeshare purchase to anyone, unless it is from a deeded week owner on the resale market, at a resort the person wants to use every year.[/Q] It is a very confusing new way of doing business. I wish I had access to the 4,000 owners at Sabal Palms or the many owners at Grande Vista because I am trying to sell my 2 bedroom time shares. You would think that Marriott would have a webinar & explain all these concerns. I also would like Marriott to have the Annual Meetings on a webinar. Very few owners attend these meetings.