Report Abuse

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst

Hi Everyone, I am going to have to agree with kathyw84. So, far there has been no benefit to going to the points system. We joined the point system because we have been owners for many years of multiple locations, all platinum. It put us in the "platinum plus" level for points. We have to see if that really is anything of merit. So far we are very skeptical. We have always had very successful trades with Interval International or have been able to stay at our resorts. Interval has always been able to provide equal or upgrades to our trades. So far, the trades we are trying to do are completely unresolved (been over a month since we made the deposit and request). This has not happened in the past. As rm5 has stated we can choose to use our weeks as we normally have done. But it does not seem to be working and I have a hard time putting a great deal of stock in rm5's comments because they will not identify their relationship with Marriott. I believe it is because they work there. Therefore they have a vested interest in saying it will all work out. Also, every attempt to use the point system for us has had absolutely no fruitful results. In my humble opinion, Marriott's new point system has caused everyone to be so unsettled that they are not doing anything. The inequities of week values and the uncertainty of exchanging has caused a freeze to the system. We are not sure if we will stay in the point system. There are a few advantages for us to stay in the program since the initial fee has been paid and it is past the 10 days. That fee is a sunk cost and gone. We have to accept that. The annual cost will cover what we were paying for lock offs and reward trade ins. However, if we can't get good upgrades from Interval International locking off may no longer work for us. So, that cost or savings will not be there. Also, the internal exchange to other Marriott properties is if-y, so that may not be a savings either. We have always felt good about our choice to purchase our Marriott properties. We have told our friends, family and anyone that has talked to us about timeshares about the beautiful properties and great system there was to use them. Quite frankly this opinion is not the same at this time. We sincerely plan on NOT discussing the Marriott properties or system until the concerns are resolved in a way we are comfortable with. This makes us very sad. At least we purchased where we like to go and when. But it is not the plan we were promised nor bought into. We had planned a lifetime of vacations at wonderful places all over the world by buying and trading a home location. That system seems to have started to fail. Very sad.