Report Abuse

Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

Ok, this is a new program just being released and I would like to see other perspectives regarding it. I personally think it is a sleazy, greedy, double dealing way for Marriott to glean more dollars from owners they've already overcharged for ownership weeks and further weakens my faith in the TS industry. To join there is an initial one-time fee of $695 to enroll two or more weeks (purchased internally through Marriott) or $1995 (purchased through a third party). In addition to that there is a single, consolidated annual eligibility fee which covers exchange bookings, lock-offs, Interval International membership, reservations changes, and more. These are benefits that other, points based, timeshare companies offer at little or no charge. The idea of the program is to offer Marriott owners some of the same advantages points based timeshare companies include with the initial purchase. It allows points to be banked from the currant year for use in the next year and allows one to borrow from next years points balance if additional points are needed in the current year. The problem I see is that Marriott is offering this at a pretty hefty, additional cost to its owners. On top of the fees charged, the points an owner gets for the units he gives up is not as much as another owner is charged to exchange FOR that same unit. Thus the double dealing aspect of the program (and my yardstick as to any semblance of fairness to it). I wonder, too, if this program won't mean more difficulty in securing suitable accommodations at an owner's home resort because, I believe, units booked through this program can be done the same12 months in advance. I like the concept but I certainly don't like the cost structure. I need to do more research to see if there are any other drawbacks and I welcome any other input.