Report Abuse

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst

Okay, here's our situation. We own at Canyon Villas (Gold EOY). We bought about 5 years ago without any knowledge of timeshare. We visit AZ every 3-4 years or so (family) so we thought it would be a good investment as we were in our mid 20's when we purchased. We've since had kids and have actually never used our week at our home resort. We've traded for Palm Springs, Hawaii and of course Orlando (kids). We've been huge fans of MVC and II and have referred 3 other couples (who also purchased). Then the point system hits. We had a horrible experience with our sales lady who tried to get us to enroll. She was energetic and friendly until we said know. They she became disrespectful and basically kicked us out of their office, but that's not why I'm posting. We haven't enrolled into the points system yet because our EOY Gold Week at Canyon Villas is worth peanuts. Granted, I know that it's trade value in the normal system isn't as high as other more popular resort, but I was always able to trade for something very satisfactory. Our potential point value in the new system is very weak (I can't remember what it is, but I think it would take at least 3 years of banking to get a decent week somewhere else). Anyway, what should we do? I think we spent $9,000 upfront and pay about $450 per year in maintenance. I've never once regretted this purchase until now. I'd love to sell my timeshare to get out completely and then just buy weeks from sites like this. What are the best options for me to sell my timeshare? Or, should we just enter into their point program and buy more points (I really really don't want to give Marriott anymore money). Or, should we just stay in II and try to trade for non-Marriott resorts. I'm willing to give it another shot, but at this point we do feel a bit betrayed because had we known the point system was coming we would not have purchased an EOY Gold at Canyon Villas :)