Report Abuse

Giving up your timeshare after it has been paid in full

[Q=bertm14] I've read some threads about foreclosure and credit problems associated with not paying off your timeshare/s. In my situation, I have paid off the time share years ago but do to health problems the last 3 years I've been lacking in the abiltity to keep up with all my bills. The time share now is 3 years behind with some interest in penalties of 850.00 Not a great deal for most but for my situation I have to pay the bare neccessities first. So my question is if I call the office to give up my timeshare and opt not to pay the 850.00 in maintainance fees will it affect my credit? The timeshare is Coral Princess, Cozumel, Mexico. And although I rarely used it in the 13 years I've had it. When I did, it was well worth it. I tried to ask family members if they wanted to take it over, but I guess I'm not much of a salesman. :p Again question is, will my credit be affected by not paying past maintainance fees and giving back the timeshare. I haven't really thought about this timeshare as a real estate loan since it was paid off. But now I have to consider it.[/Q] So what gives?