Report Abuse

I second the motion...

Colvin, I agree that generally one can "sell to whomever you want" in this country. But, there are many exceptions established by both state and Federal statutes and regulations to prevent fraud. For example, the SEC forbids the sell of "restricted stock" by a corporate officer who has knowledge of some pending event that could adversely affect the value of the stock. That is, the right to sell in this country is not absolute as you suggest. I also question whether you actually "sold" anything. The seller (that would be you) must receive "good and valuable consideration" for a valid sale. Typically consideration is monetary but it can be "love and affection" but in this transaction you received nothing. You actually paid consideration. Your transaction would not pass the smell test for a valid sale set out in Blacks Law Dictionary and many volumes of case law. Sure the county clerk will take your fee and record the deed but that does not make it a valid deed. Google does accept advertisements but its purpose for being is to provide links to web sites to those searching the internet for information. Your "buyer" does not have a web site. That fact raises red flags in my mind. You say "the resort MUST accept the owner of record as the owner". Not necessarily. Frequently the declaration filed by the developer in the deed records sets restrictions on who they will accept as an owner. That declaration is binding whether you read it or not. There are many homeless folks in my city who sleep in public provided shelters at night. Most of these individuals would gladly accept the price of a warm meal for the deed to a timeshare. That would be cheaper than paying a LLC $1,000 to accept the deed. Maybe you have hit upon something. If a "resort MUST accept the owner" then maybe readers of this thread can seek out the homeless and transfer their worthless timeshare to them. It would be a win/win for both parties. The homeless person gets a warm meal and the owner of a worthless timeshare rids himself of future maintenance fees.