Report Abuse

Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

Well, I just listened to the Destination Club sales pitch at my home resort yesterday and I will not be doing it. Five years ago, we bought a premium week with the assurance from the sales people at that time (who of course no longer work there) that we would have priority on exchanges within the Marriott resort system. We bought because we know Marriott properties and like their amenities. Of course, it is impossible to get exchanges for other Marriott resorts and when I questioned my sales person about this his explanation is " only 10% of owners ever exchange their week into the system" which of course was NEVER mentioned when we bought so of course the chances of getting the prime resorts are very low. What is really aggrivating now is that what we thought we were getting by paying for the premium week is now being offered as a separate deal with another fee and price added on which I think is sleazy business. Now what we bought as premium is being trumped as the new premium and our power for exchange will be futher diluted. Over time, Interval International will get fewer Marriott weeks than they get now banked with them and only the poeple who pay fees to Marriott will have access. Further, the point system as I see it is another way for Marriott to keep putting the best resorts out of reach. All they have to do is increase the points for these and decrease what they offer you for your week and force you into buying more points from them. In addition, they can change the fees at will and they certainly will do that just like they do with the maintenance fees and there will be nothing you can do. I don't want any part of this program. I think it stinks that Marriott is offering the DC people access to the unsold TS units which they don't offer now. This is a way that they control inventory to their advantage and keep people from getting the exchanges when they have availability. It is poor customer service in my opinion. On the flip side, they keep building units at their resorts and expanding so it does not keep the values up for the current owners. By diluting the market with more units, there is no secondary market for the existing units which is why it is impossible to sell. I am frustrated with Marriott's efforts to continually shake down its customers for more money to have a perceived advantage to trade when they offer NO guarantees. What is the liklihood of getting a better trade by paying the fee and $595? If you can't trade under this plan, they will tell you that you need to upgrade to the destination club which costs 30% more than what my initial investment was. I will not let them reach into my pockets anymore.