Report Abuse

Study and learn BEFORE you buy...

[Q=todda36] I know very little about timeshares, point systems, deed exchanges, etc. My family and I are currently in Hilton Head at a Marriott Vacation Club resort and having a wonderful time. We were discussing the possibility of owning something, but we really like the variety of going different places at different times, etc. Thought about going to the presentation here, but my wife said it may be a better (and cheaper) idea to look for a resale, especially with the economy not really chugging along yet. Is that correct? Any tips on what to look for/what to avoid? I am going to be doing some reading and research, but thought this might be a good place to start. Thanks!!![/Q] My suggestions follow: 1. Do NOT attend any developer-direct "presentations", which are ALWAYS filled with lies, half-truths, assorted misrepresenations and slick, underhanded sales tactics from hungry sales weasels. Avoid them like you would avoid a communicable disease... 2. Buy only RESALE, but don't consider buying resale until AFTER you have learned the many complexities, nuances, details, costs, different systems and their various limitations. You will likely spend weeks (maybe even months) before you actually know enough to make an informed buying decision. It's always easy to buy --- but it may be very difficult sell later. It pays to do the research and avoid making an expensive mistake now which is difficult to reverse later. 3. The best way and place on earth to gain a thorough timeshare education is to read and read (and then read even more) the many vaious forums on the Timeshare Users Group (see http://www.tug2.net). There is occasionally some useful information to be gleaned from these RedWeek forums too, but there is also a fair amount of bad advice and incorrect, inaccurate and/or obsolete "information" offered as "knowledge" here in the RedWeek forums. There is, simply and honestly stated, MUCH less experience and MUCH less actual knowledge to be found on the RedWeek forums and MUCH more actual knowledge and experience on TUG. In any event, STUDY AND LEARN anywhere and everywhere you can BEFORE you consider buying ANYTHING, ANYWHERE! If you don't, you'll likely later regret (and pay for, financially speaking) having acted too hastily.