Report Abuse

Another thought / suggestion...

[Q=thelmab17] I would like to get rid of my timeshare at Hiawatha Manor... [/Q] I do not claim to know anything at all about the location or value (if any) of your particular timeshare week, but I would nonetheless respectfully suggest that you first attempt to GIVE your timeshare away to a willing recipient, before merely skipping ahead to just accept and endure the potential consequences of foreclosure. On Timeshare Users Group (see http://www.tug2.net) there is a section entitled "Bargain Deals" where members ($15 per year for a membership) list timeshares they are willing to give away. For a transfer in which there is no money (and hence, no escrow) involved, you can get the deed work done for $100 by a competent TUG member named Alan, located in Cross, South Carolina (Tug "handle" ttt). You would have to pay three to five times that amount to the resort for closing costs, even if the resort WAS willing to accept your deed in lieu of foreclosure (a.k.a. "deedback"). With some luck, for a total investment of $115 and a very little bit of time and effort, you can potentially (and lawfully) transfer your ownership to someone else who actually wants it. However, you'll first have to exert a little effort to FIND that person. It's certainly worth the time and minor expense to at least TRY this suggestion, before simply resigning yourself to a foreclosure and its' undesirable (and maybe completely avoidable) consequences.