Report Abuse

Eliminating timeshare scammers...

[Q=anotherd] And I'm convinced there is a way to do it![/Q] In my personal opinion, there is only ONE clear potential solution. That solution is the creation and adoption of FEDERAL legislation which strictly regulates the very existence of these parasites, with severe criminal (not just civil penalty) sanctions for violators. Florida is to be commended for taking a swipe at eliminating these maggots from their state (although there are still dozens of them there), but state laws (including Florida's) have absolutely no teeth (...and no jurisdiction) outside their own state borders. In addition, currently if a scammer starts to feel the heat, all they have to do is MOVE to another state with no comparable laws (which, by the way, is the overwhelming majority of all states in the USA). Two words --- FEDERAL LEGISLATION ! The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has some jurisdiction over these maggots, but FTC authority and leverage is too limited is derives largely from the "telemarketing" angle. That's plainly NOT good enough or strong enough to drive these parasites out of existence. The very EXISTENCE of these maggots (not just their telemarketing practices) has to be very strictly regulated with strong federal legislation, at least in my view.