Report Abuse

scammed. are time shares worth it?

[Q=janicer98] We always say no to time shares....until we found the perfect one in Cabo Mexico. Unfortunately it was in the beginning phase of building and the developer ran off with everyone's money. now we're still paying for something that doesn't exist:( I've been looking around and it seems timeshares make sense, but "once bitten twice shy". What about resells? worth it or not? points vs. weeks? is it possible to find a resell that is for life and not just a number of years? again, worth it or no?[/Q] There's no specific answer to your question as there are so many variables to consider when buying any timeshare, however in this down economy I would rent instead of buying first, to test the water, then you're not stuck with paying maintenance fees and possible special assessments for the rest of your life or until ownership changes hands. Secondly, I would never buy just to exchange as exchanging also has many variables (ie: trade power of week owned, how far in advance you deposit your week, supply and demand of week/resort requested in an exchange etc.) If you are convinced that you should own a timeshare, you can find many timehare weeks that people are giving away if you check bargain basement timeshares on Redweek and TUG, however you are then responsible for all future yearly maintenance fees and possible special assessments. The mantra is to always buy where you like to go and exchange only those years that you don't wish to go to your owned timeshare, but be flexible in what you desire in an exchange. 90% of timeshare owners want 10% of what's available in an exchange and deposit early, at least a year in advance. Lastly, any timeshare bought in the USA is deeded and not RTU. BTW, has a lawsuit been filed against the developer of the doomed resort that you have invested in ??? I certainly wouldn't still be paying for something that doesn't exist .... you definitely have a case as the developer breached your (and everyone else that bought in) contract. Perhaps you could get in touch with Profeco (Consumer Protection Agency in Mexico) concerning this endeavor .... they have helped many people that bought in Mexico under unscrupulous sales tactics. You can 'search forums' here to find their contact information. Good luck whatever you decide.