Report Abuse

Re: New Assessment/Incompetent Management of the project

My husband and I are deeded owners since 2003 and are outraged, to say the least, about this additional assessment, which seems more like extortion. The mortgage is paid, but we are weighing our options now. We own 2 weeks, every year, and have a reservation to return this spring 2012, which I understand will not be honored unless we pay the first installment, even though we already paid the regular 2012 maintenance fees last spring. We just received the letter yesterday, and we spent a couple of hours on the phone with different people after we read their correspondence. We, too, can't in all good conscience, see how they can get away with this. When Diamond first took over the property, they sent an extremely rude and aggressive representative to Poipu to talk to the owners. We met with him, and he pressured us to pay a fee and join the "point system". We told him we didn't want to do this because we had no interest in trading because we come back to Kauai every year. When we flatly refused, he got noticeably angry with us for not succumbing. He kept asking us, "Why, why, why" we didn't want to. Then, I told him because, "Simply, we don't want to throw our ownership into the pot." With that, he left. From that moment on, we knew that something wasn't quite right with this new ownership. Our Water Intrusion fee totals $11,786.64, with $3,545.99 as the initial payment due on January 1. We would unwillingly pay this initial installment (only to be able to keep our spring vacation intact ), but what is the guarantee that we will not be extorted and tapped for more money at their whim. I was searching the web trying to find owners names or board members names, and I came across this site and your discussions. My husband and I will work along with any other members if there is anything we can do to stop this. The more I read, the more I believe a class action suit is our only hope. Is there an owner who is a lawyer?