Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

@g333s I appreciate all the valuable information you have posted and your commitment to furthering the understanding of this complex topic. Being a new owner and have not been exposed previously to the exchange scenario, my question is simple math and in response to your previous statement: "And when the sales person tried to make you feel that you needed to buy more just to have the same 7 days at your home resort, shame on him. Points were not created to be used at your home resort (unless you go during a lower season, in which case it would net you points left over after your week stay) But the points assigned for our weeks isn't the same as the required amount of staying during our season. This is simple...Because we don't need points to go back to our home resort during out season. The observation is irrelevant and to get upset over something the doesn't affect us seems unproductive." Clearly I would not convert my week to points only to turnaround and use them at my home resort, but the fact that there is a difference between the number of points I receive for exchanging my week and what the same week would costs causes concern. To me, this means this same formula is applied across the spectrum of resorts, which does not allow for an even exchange and there is an apparent premium on using points vs those awarded in the exchange. (seemingly equal to approximately one day). In my case, if I exchange my week for points I get 3075, but to book at my resort for the same time period it costs 3500. Why would Marriott not award me the same number of points that it would cost to stay there? Of course there are options, such as staying S-TH or during a different time period, but that's not the point I wish to focus on. I've read through this string, but I have not seen a clear answer so far.