Report Abuse

Re: New Owners

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Did you file a complaint with the BBB and tell very specifically what lies the salesman told you? They have given refunds to people who were lied to, but it needs to be lies that were not contradicted by the contract. Our salesman told us we could book hotel rooms, condos, etc at a great discount, but this is not true. He told us we could use our unit twice a year if we paid the maintenance fee, but the truth was we could use it only once every two years. He said our unit would increase in value and they would buy it back, plus uncountable other lies. You could file criminal charges with the District Attorney. I think you have to file a police report first. Or you could get a lawyer to sue them. It is against Missouri law to use misrepresentation to sell merchandise. Timeshares are considered merchandise. You can look this up in Missouri law on the internet. I would keep after the AG and the governor. Try to find other owners who will join with you to demand the AG take action or will go in with you to get an attorney. You might declare to Summerwinds that the contract is null and void because the salesman committed fraud to get you to buy; then stop making payments. It might ruin your credit for a few years, but there may be no other choice. There is something in the law about an implied covenant of good faith. A consumer has the right to depend on the person selling merchandise to describe it accurately and to assume they are telling the truth. You might research this and use this to get out of the contract. Mr. Eliott told us to write a letter to Pat Joyce (President of Summerwinds) describing in great detail our experience of misrepresentation. WE did and he gave us a refund and cancelled the contract. Sorry I can't be of more help.