Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Just to clarify, we own two studios in Breckenridge and 1 lock off unit in Canyon Villas--all were platinum season, so that's why we have 6,500 Destination Club points. Also, we're lucky to be able to take two vacations in one year (even though we are retired) because we are caregivers for my elderly mother. We end up taking one family vacation (with kids and grandkids) and maybe one on our own, then on the off-year we take a world trip with our MRPs. We can make this program work for us because we can't use three weeks of vacation per year--but love getting 330,000 MRPs every other year for the world trips. We were actually giving away our spare weeks to our kids just so we didn't lose them under the old system. Maybe in the future we would want to take 3 weeks of vacation--and if we do, we can either use II or the Destination Club exchange--whichever works best for our particular vacation plans. Since we are retired we can actually go just about anytime of the year, so we can live with just about any season. So you can see, this old and new program does work well for us. The good news is that we have added flexibility that the Destinations program offers (time of year, number of days, and the Marriott inventory, etc.). The only drawback I can see is that we won't have access to the new properties in future. On the other hand, there are still plenty of Marriott Properties that we can use. And I do agree that with good planning as to time of year, size of unit, and number of days, we can still manage to get our money's worth out of this program. I think it really just boils down to an individuals vacation needs--and then making the program work for you. P.S. I do REALLY hate it when the sales reps don't tell the correct story when you are buying! They should know better. And I do agree that when you call the reps on the phone that they seem well informed and are more than willing to try and help you get the best deal they can.