Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

I am a weeks owner with Marriott at Ko Olina. Frankly, I don't know what all of the fuss is about. I also am a part of a points program with DRI. I love the points system because I have always had a desire to travel to different places. I use my points to do just that. Marriott's program is very similar. You have options that's all it is about. Some of us weeks (legacy) owners don't realize that points have been the new thing in timeshare for some time, because it offers options. Now often those options don't give you the same value for your points as accommodations, but sometimes you may not have the use for the accommodations all of the time. For example, I would sometimes be frustrated that Marriott only offered the week only and if I did not take it that year I would basically lose it or give it to II. However, with my DRI points I could save them to the next year and still go to the same resort. Since I always had points I never knew the difference in properties if you had a week there or trading there. Thus, the whole idea of the spread was not an issue for me. I do not know what the fuss is all about because legacy owners like myself can still do whatever they could before and get what you signed up for. You can still rent, trade or stay in your unit as you did before. II is still there for you. In fact, as of now I am still reading on TUG on people still successfully using II to get trades. What people don't like is that they may not be as FORTUNATE in getting more than what they bought. By this I mean, if you bought a cheap Desert Springs villa during low season and were able to trade to a peak season Maui property or if you had a studio and traded up to a 2 bedroom. This is what people are talking about when they speak of the good old days. However, those days are not absolutely gone, they just may not be as plentiful. Change is difficult for people, and as we get older we really don't like change. I only have one week at Ko Olina. I am joining the points program because it has some very attractive features that I know I will take advantage of particularly when I retire and can travel more during the low seasons. My one week can translate into about 3 weeks or more within the Marriott system since I don't need a two bedroom anymore. The other thing that is important point that I continue to stress but no one seems to hear is that there is more than just Marriott in II. There are some other very nice resorts in there system and some nicer than Marriott such as Four Seasons and Westin. What's funny is that I just picked up two Marriott Desert Springs II two bedroom units on II using my DRI points for a family reunion. It was as easy as it has been for the last five years. I believe that people should just calm down and see what they have and utilized the options before them. Yes, it may is more expensive for newbies but they are buying a different product than us legacy owners. They are coming in with tours, cruises, hotels, etc. being offered as part of their points program. I was offered that same thing with my DRI points. These are two totally different programs. I can still book my Ko Olina like I have always had. There has been no problem even during the summer. I can even still do two consecutive weeks, one with the studio and one with the one bedroom if I want to with no problem. I can still turn my Ko Olina into II and get an AC if I want. As far as value is concerned, like a car you lost value the moment you left the sales office. If you bought resale, your maintenance fees increased. The Marriott Rewards program is OPTIONAL and always has been. Marriott can stop that altogether at any time. It said so when you signed on the dotted line if you bought from the developer. This was a free benefit of using rewards for hotel stays or being able to trade for rewards points. I look at it like benefits at work. A vacation is a benefit. Employers do not have to provide paid vacation time. It is not required. They don't have to provide paid health care, it is not required. The don't have to have a 401K program, it's not required. Do you get the point? Marriott has provided extra privileges that people have made to be rights of ownership and they are confused. Do salesman pump these benefits up? Absolutely, but that is not what you signed up for on the dotted line. My advice is to stop whining and complaining and learn to use your ownership. Whining and complaining do absolutely nothing but make some unnecessarily alarmed about nothing. If you are a legacy owner like me, it's simple join or don't. Be happy that you can stay at your resort and enjoy. If you are a points owner, be happy with what you purchase. However, in both cases use your memberships to the maximum.