Report Abuse

Re: Getting rid of a time share.

[Q=lancec13] Remember, there are way more sellers than buyers right now so look at it this way. If I were in the market to buy a timeshare like yours and I saw half a dozen other ads for a similar timeshare, what would you offer to make me choose yours over the others? If others are offering to pay the costs while you insist that the buyer for your timeshare pay the closing costs, which do you think I would choose? In your ad, it would be best if you made it clear who will be responsible for the closing costs as well as resort transfer fee (if there is one).[/Q] I have to agree 100% with lancec13. In this market, where as lance said there are 10 sellers for every cash buyer, you have to do something to make yours the one that is picked. And you goal is freedom from the recurring costs of ownership = the annual fees. There are a number of things which can attract a buyer to your timeshare. Paying all or part of the closing costs. I see a lot of adds where the closing is paid by the seller, and transfer is paid by the buyer. That means the buyer will usually only pay about $125 or less. Offer the timeshare for only $1.00. In most states, the actual selling price has to be at least $1 or the sale may not go through. Has to do with minimum value that can be recorded at the sale or something. Offer to transfer banked or current usage that you paid the fees for as an incentive. NEVER expect to make money on the deal. Just get out of the obligation to the time share company. Remember - you are asking the new owner to take on the very expenses that you are working so hard to get out from under. NEVER PAY A FEE UP FRONT. The only fees you should ever pay up front as a seller is to the closing company that YOU secure, or to the site you are listing on, such a Red Week or eBay. Both have small fees to list or belong. As a buyer, NEVER pay monies directly to a seller. You might as well just set the cash on fire. If they secured the closing company, check it out on the web, and through the Better Business BBB. Search for info about them on posting sites like RW, to make sure they are legit. Then send payment to the escrow account, when you are sure you know they are honest. Make sure that monies are not actually released to the seller until the unit is both recorded in your name AND transferred at the resort. Until the resort acknowledges you as the new owner, you have nothing. Good Luck.